Inhumans, also known as Inhomo supremis, are an offshoot of humanity that have been genetically modified by the Kree and have spent thousands of years selectively breeding.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Powers and Abilities
- 3 Alpha Primitive race
- 4 Known Inhumans
At the beginning of the Kree-Skrull War, millions of years ago, the alien Kree established a station on the planet Uranus, a strategic position between the Kree and Skrull empires. Through their work at this station, they discovered that sentient life on Earth nearby had genetic potential invested in it by the alien Celestials. Intrigued, the Kree began to experiment on Earth's then-primitive Homo sapien race to produce the genetically advanced Inhuman race. Their goal was apparently twofold - to investigate possible ways of circumventing their own evolutionary stagnation and to create a powerful mutant race of soldiers for use against the Skrulls. Although their experiments were successful in creating a strain of humanity with extraordinary abilities, the Kree abandoned their experiment because a genetic prophecy had predicted that the experiments would lead to an anomaly who would destroy the Kree Supreme Intelligence.
Their test subjects, the Inhumans, went on to form a society of their own, which thrived in seclusion from the rest of humanity and developed advanced technology. Experiments with the mutagenic Terrigen Mist gave them various powers, but caused lasting genetic damage and deformities. This led to a long-term selective breeding program in an attempt to mitigate the effects of these mutations.
Attilan's society and culture are predicated on a conformist belief system that permits individuality as it applies to genetic development and physical and mental abilities, but demands rigid conformity in that each member of society is assigned a place within that society according to those abilities following exposure to Terrigen Mist. Once assigned, no Inhuman, no matter how great or powerful, can change his or her place within his rigid caste system. However, as an exception, a member of the Royal Family, Crystal, married outside the Inhuman race to the mutant Quicksilver.
The Inhumans are led by their king, Black Bolt, and his Royal Family, consisting of Medusa, Karnak, Gorgon, Triton, Maximus, and the canine Lockjaw. Both Crystal and Medusa have been members of the Fantastic Four; Crystal has also been a member of the Avengers.
Black Bolt has guided the Inhumans through some of the most turbulent times in their history, including several attempts by Maximus to usurp the throne, revolts by the worker class (with their eventual emancipation), attacks by human renegades, the kidnapping of Medusa, the destruction and rebuilding of Attilan, and the revelation of the Inhumans' existence to humanity.
His role as king of the Inhumans has been tumultuous. The first major crisis occurred when he and his wife Medusa conceived a child. Medusa bore the c hild in defiance of the Genetic Council, who felt that Black Bolt's bloodline was too dangerous to pass on. The Council, nonetheless, took the child to examine and forbade parental contact. Medusa escaped to Earth with members of the Royal Family only to be harassed by Maximus. Black Bolt was torn between his love of his family and his duty to respect the Genetic Council, and it was only when the Council revealed to be used his son in a plot against him that he finally turned against the Council. With that, he gave up the crown as king of the Inhumans. For a while, they lived away from Attilan but returned in times of need.
Thanos and his forced attacked Attilan and offered to spare the city in exchange for a tribute: the deaths of all Inhumans between the ages of sixteen and twenty-two. Black Bolt surmised that the offering was a ruse to hide the fact that Thanos actually desired the death of Thane, a half-Inhuman youth he fathered years earlier. Maximus had Eldrac transport the remaining Inhumans to different locations to keep them from being killed by Thanos. During the search for Thanos, it was discovered that secret Inhuman tribes have existed on Earth for years and members have mated with the human population, producing a number of seemingly-normal humans who possess dormant Inhuman genes. In response to Thanos' threat, Black Bolt and Maximus evacuated Attilan before destroying it as a symbol of defiance. The destruction of the city activated a Terrigen Bomb created by Maximus which spread Terrigen Mist across the globe, activating special abilities within numerous unsuspected humans who are Inhuman descendants, known as Nuhumans.
It was later revealed that there is another Inhuman city called Orollan which is located somewhere in Greenland. The Inhuman Lash is from Orollan and he planned on recruiting the Inhuman descendants to work for him. As the months passed, Medusa also began gathering Inhuman descendants and revealed the existence of the Inhumans to the world. Attilan was rebuilt from its remains on the Hudson River, as a city called New Attilan, serving as an independent nation, welcoming all Inhumans and open to any who wish to visit.
Powers and Abilities
Inhuman physiology: Even without using the Terrigen Mist, centuries of selective breeding have given Inhumans certain advantages over regular humans. Their average lifespan is about 200 years, and an Inhuman adult in good physical condition who has not undergone Terrigenesis can possess greater strength, reaction time, speed, and endurance than the finest of human athletes.
Exposure to the Terrigen Mist can both enhance and, in some cases, reduce these physical capabilities.
Due to their closed society, Inhumans have a far lower threshold to disease and pollution than ordinary humans, giving them all incredibly weak immune systems.
Alpha Primitive race
The Alpha Primitives are a slave race created by the Inhumans. Because of the Inhumans' low population, they created a labor force of hominids bred to be strong, but of limited intelligence. They were also rendered unable to breed, being produced only by cloning. They were used by Maximus in several shcemes, resulting in their being freed from servitude by Black Bolt; they would no longer be cloned and those already made would be allowed to live out their lives in a preserve under the city. After some time, however, it was understood that the Alpha Primitives could not live on their own and the previous arrangement was reversed.
The Inhuman Royal Family are the ruling class of Inhumans. Among the members of the Inhuman Royal Family are:
- Black Bolt (Blackagar Boltagon): King of the Inhumans and husband to his cousin Medusa. He has a destructive, hypersonic voice that is so loud, he actually remains silent and has undergone rigorous mental training to prevent himself from uttering any sounds, even in his sleep. The fork-like antenna on his forehead allows more controlled uses of his voice.
- Medusa (Medusalith Amaquelin): Wife of her cousin Black Bolt and queen of the Inhumans. She is also a former members of the Fantastic Four and the Frightful Four, as well as the mother of Ahura and older sister of Crystal. She has prehensile hair.
- Crystal (Crystalia Amaquelin): Medusa's sister, the ex-wife of Quicksilver and mother of Luna. She can manipulate the elements.
- Gorgon (Gorgon Petragon): Cousin of Medusa and Black Bolt. He has bull-like legs in place of his actual legs that can create intense shockwaves that would be equal to an earthquake.
- Karnak (Karnak Mander-Azur): Cousin of Black Bolt. He is also a priest and philosopher and chose not to expose himself to the Terrigen Mists. He does, however, have the ability to sense an opponent's weak points and is a superb martial artist.
- Triton (Triton Mander-Azur): Karnak's fish-like brother.
- Maximus (Maximus Boltagon): Brother of Black Bolt who tries to overthrow him from time to time. Maximus has the ability of mind control.
- The Unspoken: Cousin of Black Bolt. He was once the king of the Inhumans until the rest of the Royal Family rose up against his power-hungry ways. Black Bolt defeated and banished him, decreeing that his actions would be removed from the history books and his name never to be uttered again, causing him to be referred to as "the Unspoken". The Terrigen Mists gave him the ability to alter his body into any form he wished.
- Ahura Boltagon: Son of Black Bolt and Medusa. He has psychic abilities.
- Akmon Boltagon: Son of Black Bolt and Medusa. He has the power to remove the Terrigenesis from others.
- Luna Maximoff: Daughter of Crystal. Born human but was later mutated by the Terrigen Crystals by her father.
- Lockjaw: Bulldog-like being who was granted the power of teleportation after exposure to the Terrigen Mists.
Inhuman Royal Guards
The Inhuman Royal Guards are a group of Inhumans who are responsible for protecting the Royal Family. Among its members are:
- Alaris: An Inhuman with enhanced strength and bulletproof skin. He was sent to Earth as part of a reconnaissance mission/student exchange program.
- Auran: An investigative Inhuman.
- Chynae: A hydrokinetic Inhuman with pointed ears and gills.
- Dinu: A teenage Inhuman who was disfigured during Terrigenesis and had to wear a mask on his face with eye-holes and a zipper where his mouth is. It has been rumored that the ritual of Terrigenesis has disfigured Dinu so much that simply looking upon his face can cause death.
- Drive: An Inhuman with super-speed.
- Flora: An Inhuman with the ability to control vegetation.
- Locus: An Inhuman who is able to locate other beings by emitting a loud shriek.
- Naanis: A tree-like Inhuman who is the twin brother of Timberius.
- Neifi: An Inhuman with gray skin and reptilian features. He possesses super-strength and durability, as his skin is like armor.
- Sakas: An Inhuman who can spit acid.
- Tonaja: An Inhuman with green, scaly skin and extendable brown wings.
The Genetic Council is a group of Inhumans who are charged with making decisions concerning the use of the Terrigen Mists and are the fate of the Inhumans. Among the members are:
- Arkadine Arcadius: An Inhuman chancellor. He has the ability to animate and speak through statues.
- Avia: An Inhuman with bird-like wings.
- Carthus: A religious leader and spiritual advisor. He is blue with several red spiked horns on his head.
- Cynas: A one-eyed golden Inhuman.
- Furgar: A reptilian Inhuman.
- Kitang: He was deposed after several attempts to kidnap Ahura Boltagon.
- Porcal: An Inhuman with quill-like growths.
- Sapphiras: A golden Inhuman.
- Targon: A beastly Inhuman.
Inhuman allies of Maximus
The following Inhumans are allies of Maximus:
- Aireo: An Inhuman who can manipulate the air.
- Falcona: An Inhuman who can control birds of prey.
- Leonus: An Inhuman with lion-like attributes.
- Nebulo: An invisible Inhuman who is also known as "the Shadow Uncast".
- Seeker: Worked for Maximus during his reign of Attilan.
- Stallior: A centaur-like Inhuman.
- Timberius: A tree-like Inhuman who can control plants.
The Crimson Cadre are the Inhumans' personal strike force led by General Ator. Among its members are:
- General Ator: Leader of the Crimson Cadre. His current status and whereabouts are unknown.
- Eelak the Agile: An Inhuman with enhanced agility. He later appeared as a member of the Inhuman Royal Guard.
- Margoyle: A gargoyle-like Inhuman.
- Pulssus: An electrical Inhuman.
- Rootar: A bark-skinned Inhuman.
The Dark Riders are a group of Inhumans nad mutants drafted by Apocalypse. Among its Inhuman members are:
- Barrage: Founding member of the Dark Riders. He can transform his arms into organic weapons that can absorb energy and fire it in explosive blasts.
- Foxbat: Founding member of the Dark Riders. He can see in the dark and use his fangs and claws as weapons.
- Gauntlet: Founding member of the Dark Riders.
- Hard-Drive: Founding member of the Dark Riders. He can teleport and control machinery.
- Psynapse: Founding member of the Dark Riders and the cousin of Medusa and Crystal. He has telepathy.
- Tusk: Founding member of the Dark Riders.
New Generation Inhumans
- Jolen: A vegetation-manipulating Inhuman who was sent to Earth.
- Nahrees: An Inhuman who can generate electricity.
- San: An Inhuman who can sculpt objects out of organic clay.
The Inhumans and the Kree have experimented on some Centaurians, Dire Wraiths, Kymellians, and Badoon so that when Black Bolt is found, he can lead them into a new era. Besides the Royal Family, among the members of the Universal Inhumans are:
- Aladi Ko Eke: The current queen of the Badoons.
- Arris: A Centaurian who is an advisor to Queen Oola Udonta.
- Avoe: The current queen of the Dire Wraiths.
- Dal Damoc: An Inhuman with levitating abilities who is a member of the Universal Inhumans. He remained in Attilan to watch over it while the Inhuman Royal Family left to rule the Kree Empire.
- Onomi Whitemane: The current queen of the Kymellians.
- Oola Udonta: The current queen of the Centaurians.
- Dara Ko Eke
- Els Udonta
- Kal Blackbane
- Prax Ord
- Alecto Petragon
- Belial Toiven
- Goran Malidicta
- Marishi Spin
- Rexel Toiven
- Seeker II
- Usurieus Toiven
All items (89)